Monday, June 30, 2008

Right with the Lord

We scheduled Mia's Baptism for the first Sunday I was home. That passed about a week ago and the event went swimmingly.

Our good friends the Duffs, and their lovely daughter Annabelle were in town for the weekend as well. They had their daughter baptized on Saturday and asked me to be the Godfather. An honor I take on with great happiness and excitement.

Daddy Duff and I have been friends since roughly the 4Th grade, well perhaps not friends till a little later in the Boy Scouts, but you get my drift. He is my oldest and closest friend. He introduced me to my wife and more or less dared me into the Army. Two of the biggest undertakings in my adult life. I was the best man at his wedding and floundered the speech. I know it's suppose to be my thing but I got a little overwhelmed. He was the best man at my wedding and hit the speech out of the ballpark. I mean wow it was a good speech. He and I have daughters that look just like us and they are 7 weeks apart. (See the Annabelle entry for more info.) So, it's only right that he should be the Godfather of the little M. Now they are Godsisters! I know he will be a great choice.

So both events were quick and to the point; holy water, blessings and an abundance of pictures.

Mia actually seemed to be having a good time as the center of attention and in the holy bath. It's good for her considering I am getting her enrolled in the nearest nunnery just as soon as she old enough! Just kidding--Maybe.

As I was busy being the Godfather and Daddy I was negligent in my picture taking. I think Grandpa got some, so as soon as I can gather them up I will post the good ones.

Last two points:

1. Baptising my daughter means that the catholic church is going to be a baseline for our daughters spirituality. However she finds her way to God and her own inner voice is mostly in her hands. We will continue to show her a path with church, C.C.D or Sunday school, but in large her relationship with God will be a personal choice.

2. Annabelle on the other hand is my God daughter and I will take a more formal approach. I think that Daddy Duff and I have similar views on most things and I will line up however he needs me to in order to help his daughter grow and develop into the church.

Amen