Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Bravo One Eight List

The Christmas card

I wanted it to sound important with a military ring to it. Simple easy to say. So, from here on out, it will only be referred to only as the Bravo One Eight List.

I am good at the moment. I have an ability to look around and "smell the flowers" if you will. Take Trixie and my wedding, somewhere between the vows and the wedding cake I stopped looked around at my new wife, my family and friends and thought wow, what a moment. Even in some darker hours, like a concrete bunker in a foreign land with people I don't know clinging to me like I could somehow deflect the mortars that are dropping like hail on an August day. My first thought of course is gee I hope I don't die but my second is wow, what a moment.

Having said this, with the Little M. I often try to rush the moment to get to the next one. I can't wait till she can sit up, crawl, eat walk and talk. So I have to remind myself to remain in the moment enjoy the snuggling and the random giggling. Enjoy her enjoying us, and life.

I have an idea, a list. Ten moments I would like to share with the Little M. Moments that may help make her life more fulfilling, enrich her, teach her a bit about life. Or simply ten things we would like to do with our daughter before she turns 18. The important part of this list is that it is all American. Certainly travel has helped me learn and have a great deal of moments and I am sure that will happen, however the Bravo One Eight List is also about helping her see why her America is great.

So here we are in no particular order:

10.) Infiltrate the Magik Cingdom and all it's Bushy gardens and aquatic worlds. Save the princess and frame the mouse. (look it's a gimmie who doesn't want to take their kid to the commercial kingdom?)

9.) A fall excursion: Army football game at West Point. RV perhaps? (My time at West Point was breathtaking. everyone should see it's beauty and history. Not only that but it's a secret chance to plant the "west point seed." So she is a girl, this is an incredible college and I have a huge reverence for anyone who attended.)

8.) The biggest Zoo in all the land. Right now I think that would have to be San Diego. I will certainly research it when it's time. (Trixie and I love the zoo. We go whenever we can. The Sydnee zoo, down under was certainly the best but hey this is an American list.)

7.) Christmas in New York . I truly heart NY. FAOh Schwortz, the lights, the bustle. Ice Skating at the rock, carriage through central park, the nutcracker at radio citee. (There are better places to go ice skating then rockafella center, but that moment, there with all the tourists! Besides that's where Trixie and I got engaged so I want it to mean something to the Little M. as well.)


6.)Space Shuttle Launch, at cape canivirel. (This may sound kind of lame but think about it, that dang hunk a metal is going in to space. I mean outer space like off the planet, looking down. It means something.)


5.) The Lincoln Memorial, The whole D.Cee. experience really, but I still remember being there with my dad. There is something breathtaking about the statue and the man. (I was back there recently and it was no less breathtaking as an adult.)


4.) Fenway Park, "Buy me some peanuts and cracker Jahks" (This I can't wait for and hope we check off the list often, how cool is it going to be sitting in the sun talking baseball to my little girl? Up until she starts rolling her eyes at me I guess!)


3.) San Fransisco Treat, There is no lack of things to do in this city. Fun for adults and kids I assume -- because I am just a big kid at heart. (best part is my sister Cali lives out there so we can have some nice bonding time with her aunt.)


2.) Adventure Race, Now this can be a bike trek "across" the state, a half marathon, a fun run, triathlon, the Bataan death march or the dang eco-chhalllannggeee, as long as it's a challenge and we do it together. (The trick is staying in shape for such things.)


1.) The Appalachian Trail and Khatadin, Not the whole thing are you nuts? Just a part, and the hike up the mountain and subsequent camping. (My hope is to get my longtime friend Duff & wife and his little girl Annabelle to join us on this trip.)


That's ten folks, in no particular order, I could easily add about a dozen more and maybe there will be additions or a foreign lands list down the road but it's our baseline. We welcome you to join us on any or all of our adventures through baby land and beyond.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a great list!!